SynopsisChloe Caledone is a typical High School Senior counting the days until graduation when she can finally escape her boring small town life and experience the world. She has purposefully managed to go through life unnoticed, and has only seen the world through other’s eyes. On her eighteenth birthday, Chloe, awakes to a complete surprise, unaware that she has been Chosen and is the Descendant of the most powerful bloodline in history. Chloe will now embark on her true life’s destiny turning her world upside down with secrets, lies, danger, and an unanticipated love triangle, while she and five other Descendants of the original Chosen, fight to destroy a dark and powerful immortal.
Excerpt from The Chosen-Drake got up from the table and walked over to me, putting my face between his hands as he always did. I looked sternly into his eyes. “Chloe, I love you more than life itself. I will do everything in my power to get your life back to normal, but you have to trust me. I can’t tell you just yet. It is better this way, I promise. I will leave you alone so you can try to gather back some of your normal life again. There is no place for me in your world. I want you to be happy and safe. I promise I will make it better for you from a distance. This will all be over soon, and then you can get on with your normal, teenage life.” He was adamant; I could see that. I didn’t want to let him go, but I couldn’t handle anymore than I already had. “Why can’t you just tell me what you know? How can you say you love me but want to leave? I want you – all of you. Please don’t do this. We belong together. I know it, and you know it.” I was crying on the outside and screaming on the inside. Why wouldn’t he fight for me? “You deserve so much more than I can give you right now. Please don’t make this any harder than it already is.” Drake wouldn’t look at me in the eyes anymore. I knew him well enough to know that meant he didn’t want this. It was hurting him and killing me. I did have feelings for Ethan, but they didn’t compare to the burning flame that was inside of me for Drake. “Look at me, please. We can make this work; I know we can. When this is all over, we can be together and be a normal couple.” I grabbed his face and pulled it toward me. “Promise me you’ll come back for me. I don’t care what it is you have to go and do, just promise me, Drake. Say you’ll come back.” I couldn’t talk behind the tears anymore. I closed my eyes and prayed through all the tears. He kissed me on my forehead and lifted me up to face him. “Chloe, if it is at all possible, I will come back for you. You know that. If I don’t, it is because I am not able to.” The look in his eyes when he said that sent chills through me and turned my stomach upside down. I knew what he meant now. He had been trying to tell me all along. If he couldn’t, it’d be because he was not able to. If he was not able to, that means he was not alive. I burst into tears in his arms. “I want you to live a long and happy life without me. I would prefer it to be with me, but you can go on without me. I always told you I would never let you get hurt. I will die for you, if there is no other way. If it means you are safe and protected, than that is what I will do.” His bravery was unbelievable. “Chloe I will destroy Aden. I won’t stop till it is finished.” “I won’t let you die for me.” I watched his expression change from pure menace to upset and slowly back to the kind, caring Drake I had known. “It has to be this way. Please just stay here where you are safe. Don’t go out there and do anything that could get you killed. I promise it will be over soon.” He kissed me. “I love you,” I whispered. “I love you more than you could ever know.” With that kiss, we said good-bye. I memorized his face and burned it into my memory. I felt that would be the last I saw of him. The feeling in my heart told me so, but it wasn’t him that wasn’t coming back; it was I .
Review“This isn’t how I expected death to be. I imagined it cold, dark & lonely. This is nothing of the sort. It is warm & light. I feel everything except alone. I feel brave & strong. And loved.” excerpt from The Chosen
The fairytales are true. Witches and warlocks are not just lore. And you hold the power to prevent evil and darkness from controlling the world. You are The Chosen One. Meet Chloe, your average high school senior just trying to navigate through school and escape small town life. Then on her eighteenth birthday everything changes. Suddenly she looks a little different. Her reflexes have quickened. She meets a mysterious guy in the school parking lot and instantly feels a connection to him. Oddest of all, she swears she sees a man watching her from the woods while in class. Nathan, Heather, Sean, and Olivia are like Chloe. Their lives all changed when they turned eighteen. From them Chloe learns that they all have special powers and are descendants from the Originals. However, one of the descendants, Ethan, is not with them and they must locate him to complete the task at hand. The villain of this tale, Aden, has kidnapped Ethan in order to get to Chloe and the others. Aden’s goal is to destroy them and take their power. Chloe and the others must use their gifts to track, locate and free Ethan all while learning where their ancestors came from and why after centuries is the Originals bloodline needed again.
The Chosen is a great mixture of characters personalities. Chloe has a great standalone personality and very likable in the story. She is that typical teenager that walks through the halls unnoticed and then one day goes from nobody to somebody and has to deal with the new attention she does not really understand or like for that matter. The other descendants (characters) are Nathan, Heather, Sean, Olivia and Ethan; they are all strong characters and are very individualistic throughout the story, however, are very complementary to Chloe’s character. The two characters that are not part of the descendants are the mysterious and sexy, Drake, and Aden, the evil sorcerer, that wants nothing more than to have the chosen’s power for himself.
For the author’s debut novel, this reviewer thinks she knocked it out of the park. I was swept up in the first paragraph of the prologue. Kristin Clark took me on a journey with Chloe. Her depiction came alive and danced in my head. Author Kristin Clark writes with a maturity that is breathtaking especially discovering that this is her first published novel. I absolutely look forward to reading future works by the very talented Kristin Clark.
Meet The Author/Interview
1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?I was born in El, Paso Texas and now live in a small town in Maryland. I am an army brat, and come from a long line of military service members. My Dad is retired Army National Guard, my Step-mom is still enlisted, my Step-father is a retired Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant, my Grand-father was in the Navy during WWII, and my ancestor was the first commander of the US Navy during revolutionary war. I have three daughters, age 3, 7, 9 and struggle with the reality that it is inevitable; I will have three teenage daughters one day. I have always liked to read and write. My favorite shows are The Following, Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, Vampire Diaries, The Originals, True Blood, and Sons of Anarchy. I love to read anything Paranormal, Fantasy, Mystery, and Romance. I love music and photography. I have a secret addiction to Dunkin Donuts coffee and sweet tea. When I read, I usually can’t stop, I have to finish, and I prefer to read a series when all of the books are available. I get disappointed when I have to wait for the next book to come out in a series.
2. Please tell us about your book.Chloe Caledone is a typical High School Senior counting the days until graduation when she can finally escape her boring small town life and experience the world. She has purposefully managed to go through life unnoticed, and has only seen the world through other’s eyes. On her eighteenth birthday, Chloe, awakes to a complete surprise, unaware that she has been Chosen and is the Descendant of the most powerful bloodline in history. Chloe will now embark on her true life’s destiny turning her world upside down with secrets, lies, danger, and an unanticipated love triangle, while she and five other Descendants of the original Chosen, fight to destroy a dark and powerful immortal.
3. Who was your favorite character to write and why?My favorite character to write was Chloe. She has an amazing gift and discovered so much about herself and what she was capable of after she discovered she was the descendent of the original chosen. She develops not only as a heroin but also personally, her relationships with the chosen and with her first love.
4. Since this is Book 1 of a trilogy, what is the timeline of the remaining 2 books?The second book in The Chosen Trilogy is near finished. You will be introduced to new characters and discover more about The Chosen and their history. I estimate it to be released this summer and the third book at the end of the year.
5. What is your writing process?I wrote The Chosen with pencil and paper first, then came back and typed it. The entire storyline played out right away and I had a hard time getting it on paper quickly enough. It all started with the title and the main character, Chloe and her gift. Nowadays, I am typing from the get go but you can find notes and sticky notes scribbled on all over the place when I think of something that I have to get out right away.
6. What authors have influenced you?One of my biggest influences would be J.K Rowling, her history and how she came about is very influential. Another influence would be Stephanie Meyer because she was like me, when the idea came to her, she wrote it with no intention of publishing it at first. She seemed to share the same feelings as me, shy about sharing her work with others.
Please follow our blog and like our FB page!!! https://www.facebook.com/2GirlsandABook
Thank you for supporting author Kristin Clark.
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway @ http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/5150ee35/
Tour Presented by